Organic Foods Take Hold
Recent reports from Dean Foods (NYSE: DF) showed the dairy giant swinging to a profit in the second quarter. The company also said that it would spin off a fast-growing unit that sells organic dairy products and soy milk. Dean Foods is planning to launch an IPO for 20% of its White Wave-Alpro unit, which makes popular brands including Horizon organic milk, Silk soy almond milks, and Alpro soy foods and drinks. Dean Foods will retain the remaining 80% of the unit. This news gave Dean Foods one of the largest percentage gains that day. This move is smart as White Wave-Alpro and Dean Foods offer different products aimed at different customers. The spin off will allow the units to be managed separately following different philosophies.